What supplements should you take if you are doing the CrossFit Open? If you’re reading this we are going to make a couple of assumptions.
A.) You are a CrossFit athlete who is wanting to compete for a spot in the CrossFit Regionals line up… or at least plan to run through the CrossFit Open workouts like greased lightning so you can post up your score for bragging rights over your peers.
B.) You have a good handle on your diet. Your whole foods game is on point and the only missing link to you gaining that extra edge is a crafty supplement strategy. greens powder amazon contain high levels of vitamins and minerals associated with maintaining a healthy immune system. There may be many conflicting opinions on what constitutes a healthy diet, but there’s one thing that virtually every expert agrees on: You should eat more greens. I always buy amazon matcha green tea powder, I like to use it in the morning as a nutritional supplement, it contains a concentrated amount of antioxidants, which may reduce cell damage and prevent chronic disease.
If you fit either of those assumptions, this article is for you my friend! Here are our top five supplements recommendations to decrease your CrossFit Open times, increase your chances at a trip to regionals and bring some more separation between you and your trash talking friends.
1. Glycodrive: https://drivennutrition.net/product/glycodrive/
Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin or cluster dextrin is a designer carbohydrate and the single source carbohydrate found in GlycoDrive. This high molecular weight carbohydrate passes quickly through the stomach where it can be transported throughout the body for storage as glycogen. This fast burning, easily converted to energy, fuel is stored in your liver and skeletal muscle cells. High intensity CrossFit style workouts are fueled by glycogen. Having an adequate supply in the tank is vital to performing at your peak!
Our recommendation: Take 25 grams 20 min prior to your WOD with 12 ounces of water (For an added pick-me up consider adding either Pre-wod or Dysrupt). Immediately following your workout consume another 25-50 grams, this will make a huge difference for you leading into the next WOD.
2. Driven Whey: https://drivennutrition.net/product/driven-whey-2lb-grass-fed-whey-protein/
The key to a top placing in the CrossFit Open is putting together several stellar performances. This could require more than one go at a good time for the posted workout, not to mention the WOD’s your doing on top of the open workout. Helping heal those broken down muscles between workouts is the keep to longevity. The fast acting proteins in Driven Whey send a rush of amino acids into the bloodstream where they can repair and rebuild your hard working muscle tissue, speeding recovery time between workouts.
Our recommendation: Take between 25-50 grams (depending on lean mass body weight) immediately after working out. If you are not getting enough protein through whole food meals throughout the day or are forced to miss a meal, keep some on hand so you can get a quick shake.
3. Creatine: https://drivennutrition.net/product/micronized-creatine/
If you have been lifting weights without enjoying the benefits of Creatine now is the time to start! Easily the most studied performance enhancing supplement over the last two decades creatine can have you moving more weight, faster from day one. Without diving into the inner working of the Krebs Cycle, (sorry exercise science nerds) creatine or phosphophocreatine as it is stored in the body (enter exercise nerd smiles) donate a phosphate to inert ADP transforming it into the fast energy powerhouse ATP.
Why is this important? You know the feeling of sprinting and you suddenly can’t achieve maximum speed? When your doing a 3 rep max squat and can’t stand the third one up? THAT my friend is the rate your ATP storage and production is exceeded by your ATP usage. More creatine in your system and you might add 10 yards at a full sprint, or get that final rep on your max! To add further fuel to the fire (pun intended) creatine increases the size of the muscle cells allowing more nutrients to flood in and more recovery to take place!
Our recommendation: Creatine is beneficial before and after workouts. 15 min before workouts take 3-5 grams followed by 3-5 grams immediately post workout. *For best results take with a fast carb like GlycoDrive for better nutrient transport.
4. Driven Aminos: https://drivennutrition.net/product/amino-bcaa/
Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine make up the three Branch Chain Amino Acids. These three are the major amino acids oxidized and broken down during ATP production. They help to convert fuel to energy by increasing the availability and rate of carbohydrate breakdown helping optimize performance. BCAA’s can reduce muscle damage or breakdown (catabolism) while working out. Leucine in particular has an anabolic (muscle growth) effect, signaling the body to build more skeletal muscle. They also promote immune health which can be weekend after prolonged or especially intense exercise. This could help you avoid getting a cold or worse the flu, a certain derailment for your open score. If you want to decrease your workout times, decreasing your recovery time is a good place to start.
Our recommendation: Driven Aminos can can be enjoyed anytime, especially between meals to bridge the gap between protein intake and preserve muscle mass. For performance benefits take one serving 5 min prior to your workout and if you have time, add them in your water bottle for an intra workout boost.
5. R&R: https://drivennutrition.net/product/rr/
We cannot overstate the importance of getting enough zzz’s at night. Not just clocking in for some downtime but ensuring that your are getting quality recovery sleep. While we can’t increase the hours you spend with the lights off, we can increase the quality and benefit you receive from it. Driven Nutrition R&R night time formula has a three step process to better recovery while you sleep.
One, natural sleep aids ensure a restful sleep where you can drift off to the deep stages of sleep where recovery can take full effect. In this deep REM sleep cognitive functioning is restored, growth hormone is secreted and protein synthesis is taking place.
Two, digestive enzymes and probiotics were added to aid the digestion and absorption of nutrients. With better nutrient partitioning your last meal or protein shake is put to better use as a muscle building and repairing agent. They promote a healthy digestive tract which is the single the most important area you can improve for better immune health. Three, natural hormone boosting ingredients help boost your bodies normal hormone output elevating an already anabolic state of rest and recovery.
Our recommendation: Take 2-3 capsules 30 minutes before you plan on going to bed. Allocate at least 7 hours of sleep time for best results and no drowsiness. Then wake up refreshed and ready for the next WOD!
There it is, our all-star lineup of supplements to get you through the CrossFit Open performing at your peak and finishing as strong as you started!
Good luck and let’s see those times!
This year marked the first year of the new location for the CrossFit Games. I’ve always wanted to go to California but I was happy to see it come to the Midwest. I think it was a great move because it made it more convenient to travel to for a large chunk of the country as well as Canada. I did hear a lot of accents while I was there also, so the whole world was definitely represented. No matter what language you spoke or the culture you lived in everyone was united by fitness.
The CrossFit Games weekend is something I always look forward to but usually was consisted of watching from the couch. Which is always nice to spend a weekend watching people workout haha but the TV doesn’t do the atmosphere and energy of each event any justice. I didn’t see every event and didn’t get to see much of the teams but when we weren’t watching the individual events we were checking out the vendors and seeing all the cool products. Everything from clothing, supplements, mobility tools, recovery drinks, health food options, etc. Rogue and Reebok had their
own buildings of their apparel and equipment. When I walking in the door I knew I was in trouble, but had to have strong willpower not to go nuts and spend all my money. Which would have been very easy to do.
One of the other cool offerings that CrossFit provides are seminars with some of the top coaches and trainers in the country on various topics. All of which brought great information to better educate the CrossFit community as well as the coaches and owners to provide the best training and experience to their members. I am always to learn new information or different methods of coaching. I definitely learned some things that’s for sure. I really enjoyed to seminar from legendary weightlifting Coach Mike Bergener, the Aerobic capacity talk from top games athlete Coach Chris Hinshaw on how to build a better engine, as well as movement prep and flexibility from Ray Regno of Movement Rx. I could have spent the whole weekend listening to the seminars.
As for the competition it is unbelievable what these athletes go through to be the fittest on earth. The amount of time and effort put in day in and day out comes to show on this weekend. Most people would have a hard time doing 1 ay of events let alone 4 and the athletes gave it there all until the very end. It was expected to see Mat Fraser win again, and I don’t think he is going to lose for a while, if ever. I do believe he is better than Rich Froning but would love to see Rich come back and see who is the true fittest on earth. I think we will see Brent Fikowski on the podium for a while also. The most excitement came from watching the women’s top 10 all weekend. If you missed them, makes sure you go back and watch. It was a much closer race than the men and was changing the whole weekend. It all came down to the last workout. The excitement in the Coliseum was amazing. Everyone on there feet going crazy helping these athletes give it all they had. I was happy to see Tia win and Kara and Annie take 2nd and 3rd. I’ve always been a fan of them so it was great to see them on the podium.
If you didn’t go this year, I strongly recommend you go next year. It was an awesome experience to b
e apart of and witness in person. Madison was a beautiful city and great place to host. Next year I’m sure will be better and I can’t wait to go back. Sometime this year CrossFit will release another Fittest on Earth Documentary that document the whole weekend and includes interviews and candid moments with the athletes. CrossFit does an amazing job with the production of these documentaries. Check out the olds one’s on Netflix.
Until next year Madison!
The New Year is here! Have you sat down and written out your goals for the upcoming year? What do you want to achieve? Better health, wealth, or happiness? When it comes to writing goals majority of people focus on the things they don’t have or wish to achieve. Creating goals gives you something to work for everyday and stay focused on to achieve. Goal setting helps provide direction and purpose to your life. Although what people tend to not do in this process is to write down what they already have or what they have achieved. To create more and achieve more you must acknowledge what you already have. This goes for all aspects of life. Goals typically always focus on financial or professional growth but should in actuality start with relationships and health and fitness improvements.
In this article I am going to talk about setting health and fitness goals for yourself and how those will affect the other aspects of your life. We all know that being healthy and fit is very important, but for many it takes a back seat. Usually because people hyper focus on other areas of life or may simply lack the motivation or guidance to make the improvements in their health. Just like everything else you must write down your health and fitness goals. Why you ask? Because it is extremely easy to get off track or loose motivation for what you are working for if you really don’t know why you are doing it. I see this all the time in the fitness world. Below you find out how to do this and why!
How to Create Fitness Goals
- Determine your why? What is the reason or big picture for why you exercise?
- Example: I want to be able to play with my kids or grandkids
- Example: I want to live longer than my parents did.
- Example: I want to compete and be the best athlete possible.
- Example: I want to get off blood pressure or cholesterol medication, etc.
- Create short term goal(s) (3-6 months)
- Create measurable goals
- I want to workout 5 days per week
- I want to loose 20lbs in 6 months
- I want to run 1 mile without stopping
- I want to add 10 lbs. to my back squat
- Create measurable goals
- Create long term goal(s) (12+ months)
- Create measurable goals
- In 1 year I want to get back to my college weight
- I want my blood work to be at normal levels
- I want to do 1 body weight pull-up
- I want to run a 5k race or compete in my first CrossFit competition.
- Create measurable goals
- Keep Your Goals Visible
- Place your goal list where you will see it daily so that it always makes you think about them. Very easy to lose site when we don’t consistently think about our goals
- Place on refrigerator, bathroom mirror, cell phone, in your car
- Place your goal list where you will see it daily so that it always makes you think about them. Very easy to lose site when we don’t consistently think about our goals
By understanding the purpose of what you are doing and working on smaller achievable goals will keep you on track and over time add up to achieving your biggest goals. The results of doing this will not only reward you physically but will affect the other areas of your life.
How Does Better Health and Fitness Affect the Rest of My Life?
- Exercise and proper nutrition will keep you healthy so that that you are able to be productive and have the energy at work to effect your professional life.
- Also, a huge stress reliever and keeps your cognition sharp when at work..
- Reduces sickness, which will put a damper on any area of your life. (Workouts, productivity, socially)
- Improves confidence and self-esteem because of the new body you have worked so hard to get.
- Feel good showing it off to your loved one or feel confident to talk to people.
- Increased confidence in physically ability in the gym and daily life.
- Improves social aspect of life
- Energized to spend time with the kids and grandkids and be active to create new experiences.
- Playing ball in the driveway or running a race
- Reduce health care costs and need for medications.
- Healthcare is expensive and can cause extra stress
- Get off medications for illness or health conditions that can be battled with exercise and nutrition.
The list could go on an on but I will leave you with these common ones. This will help you get in the right mindset to make 2017 better than last year. Sit down and think about your purpose and why. Write down your goals and get to work! CFC is here to help you achieve your fitness goals for 2017! Put your trust in us and contact us today! www.crossfitcollinsville.com or at 618-346-4646 ext. 1
Happy New Year!
Not sure what to tell family or friends what to get you for Christmas? I have put together some ideas for you that are necessities to help you have a better WOD experience. Some people use more equipment or tools for their workouts than others and that’s based off personal preference but here are some essential items that are great for everyone! Rogue Fitness is a dangerous place if you enjoy some Internet shopping especially if you are an avid crossfitter.
6 Items to Have in Your Gym Bag!
- Shoes (obviously) – CrossFit has made it the norm to have multiple kinds of shoes for your workouts. By no means is this required but Reebok Nanos or Nike Metcons are preferred. I have worn both after finding their reviews on the Shoe Hero website and each has their perks most people are either Reebok or Nike when it comes to the style and feel. These shoes are designed for CrossFit training because they feature a firm sole to lift in but also be light enough and confortable to do running, jumping, or climbing in. Weightlifting shoes – These have the heel lift on the back and help provide more support and stability in the feet when performing fast technical Olympic lifts. These are not necessary if you are a beginner but do help experience lifters hit those big lifts.
- Hand Guards – this could be as simple as keeping a roll of tape in your bag to put on your hands if there are lots of pull-ups or T2B in the WOD or your can purchase the gymnastic hand guards from Rogue or Natural Grips! If you have the tendency to tear a lot when doing a lot of bar work. It’s mostly because of grip strength and not having calluses built up. Ripping your hands is kind of a right of passage in crossfit! You are officially hardcore once you have done that haha! But realistically we don’t want anyone to rip because it can prevent you from getting on the bar for a while and also nobody want to shake or hold a ripped up blistered hands!
- Wrist Wraps – if you are new to weightlifting you have probably experienced wrist soreness from overhead pressing, cleans, OH Squatting, etc. A couple ways to reduce this is to work on mobility and positioning as well as getting the muscles and tendons in the wrists stronger. The main purpose is to provide more support in the wrists and take some stress off. I don’t always use them but definitely do if there is high volume of reps or if I’m a little sore. You can find wrist wraps for as cheap as $8 up to $30 depending on the brand you buy! Most people do fine with the 10-12” wrist w raps anything bigger is usually for power lifters or strongmen or if you have very large wrists.
- Tall Socks or Shin Guards – Always good to have them just in case rope climbs show up and you didn’t look at the workout ahead of time. I have used tall baseball socks and doubled them up to provide more padding. You can also find padded shin guards from brands such as RockTape that are made for rope climbs or box jumps!
- Shakers and Supplements – Pack a clean shaker or 2 to have for your pre and post workout supplementation. Rather then waiting until you get home you should have it ready to go so that it is easy access and you can take advantage of the metabolic window. You can also check out sarms for sale because it can definitely provide you the necessary boost in your workouts. This can be a whole other article on just supplementation! Stay tuned!
- Extra shirt or Towel – Always good to have an extra shirt to change into after a workout due to all the sweatiness that occurs from a crossfit workout! Use the workout shirt or towel to dry off the sweat before getting in your car and soak it into your seats. Especially with it getting cold out, it is best to have a dry shirt handy!
It’s that time of year again where the temperatures drop and the abundance of holiday pies and cookies seem like they are never ending. Have you ever had to talk yourself out of going back for another helping even though you are already full? I have been guilty of this when home for the holidays. Your willpower must be stronger than your appetite if you want to make it out of the holidays like you started. This time of year can wreak havoc on your progress and goals. November and December are the toughest months of the year to maintain fitness or performance, especially with the added temptation of grandmas famous cooking. Am I saying you have to deprive yourself and can’t eat the delicious holiday food? No, eating in moderation is ok and won’t leave you regretful later on.
TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL HOLIDAY SEASON
- Plan to be active or maintain your normal workout routine. Time off work allows more free time, so stay active to help burn off the extra calories that will be consumed, use an extra boost with the best green juice for your body health.
- If you are going to a holiday party or dinner, don’t starve yourself in anticipation of the upcoming meal. Eat regularly leading up to the meal and you will be less likely to over indulge.
- Limit your sugar intake. Over eating rich and sugary treats will leave you feeling stuffed and sick but and hour or two later your back in the kitchen for more unneeded calories.
- Don’t over fill your plate. We tend to want to try everything and feel we need to eat it all. If you feel full then stop. Use smaller portions and spread out over time to where you feel satisfied but not sick.
- Don’t graze! An area I have to stay disciplined on is grazing around the table of appetizers and cookies that are sitting out at the party. Try to hang out in another room or area to resist the mindless snacking.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. This will help with appetite control, and fight that hangover from too many drinks at the party.
- ENJOY YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND MAKE SOME MEMORIES!
Take these tips and use them to help guide you through the holidays and set yourself up for success. Start off 2018 right by not having to play catch up to burn off the extra helpings of pumpkin pie or Christmas ham. With that being said now is the time to start thinking about those New Year’s Resolutions instead of waiting for January 1st. Most resolutions are about diet and weight loss with the help of the best weight loss pills, but tend to fail quickly because a true goal or plan was never established. Think about your goals and what you would like to accomplish and think about WHY you want it. If you understand why you want to achieve something then you are more likely to work harder for that goal. Put a plan in place and go for it.
We can help you with your WHY factor for your health and fitness goals, from there helping you establish a routine and accountability partner to help you stick to your plan. Do not hesitate to do so; we are here to help at CrossFit Collinsville!
Have you been talking about trying CrossFit but never took the next step? You might think you need to get into shape before you can do CrossFit. Maybe your perception of it is what you have seen on T.V. or the Internet. All of which are normal thoughts and feelings. The truth is you don’t have to be in shape to start and what you have seen on TV is not what you are going to see when you walk into our gym. You will see moms and dads, working adults, as well as sport athletes. We provide a fitness outlet for all aspects.
Yes we follow traditional CrossFit training methods but do not hyper focus on making everyone one a weekend competitor. We are not the gym that has to compete in every competition. We are the gym that works hard in and outside of the gym to be the best versions of ourselves. We are here to help you make a positive change in your life and be an outlet you can look forward to everyday.
What to expect when joining Foundations:
- You will realize that this isn’t your normal fitness routine or what you have done in the past.
- You will learn a lot of new words and language around fitness and CrossFit.
- You will learn what quality movement looks and feels like.
- You will be challenged both physically and mentally.
- You will learn movements that you never thought you would do.
- But most of all you will realize that this is what you have been looking for to help you achieve your health and fitness goals!
At CrossFit Collinsville we provide a safe and professional experience with some awesome people! We pride ourselves in making fitness fun and effective at the same time! Stop trying to talk yourself out if and invest in yourself! Sign up today, you wont regret it!
We are always having the same conversation with all those skeptical souls out there that
have never experienced CrossFit. There is still that common misconception that you have to be in shape, or you have to have some sort of expertise, or you have to be able to throw a barbell around with over 300 lbs on it to be able to “try CrossFit”.
Let’s clear the air. You don’t have to be hardcore, you don’t have to do paleo (we don’t), you don’t have to already be in shape and you don’t have to want to lift any amount of weight. The beauty of CrossFit is that is truly is for anyone and everyone. Is has proven to be a great means to better yourself, your health and your future. And our members here are everyday people, from all walks of life, that truly care about the people they come across. They are teachers, they are medical professionals, they are you friends, your neighbors and they just want a healthy version of themselves too. Everyone has a story. Everyone starts somewhere. We can help you start here.
We have trainers with have bachelor degrees, masters degrees and over 10 years combined experience in this field. This is our passion and we are capable of modifying all movements for all walks of life. We know it’s hard to trust the unknown. We believe in time you will learn to trust us as trainers and to trust the knowledge we have and believe that we really do want the best for you. But it all begins by trusting and believing in yourself. Believe you can do more than you think, with us to guide you, because in all reality if you could do it on your own you already would have.
You don’t need to be training for the olympics, you don’t need to be wanting to compete in any competition, all we want is you wake up the next day better than the day before. For more beauty tips and advice on how to stay fit, be sure to check out more articles on www.nubobeauty.com.
That’s all. We hope to see you soon.
As a coach at CrossFit Collinsville, I continue to see and experience the amazing culture that has been created at CFC. The members are always so welcoming to each other, there is always a family like enviornment at events and competitions, and when there is a job to be done, our athletes step up to the challenge with the right attitude about the task at hand. I think of this culture as a ?classy effort.? And again, our CFC athletes put that classy effort on display at the Fittest Team in the Metro East competition this weekend.
The athletes competing were the epitome of what we preach at our gym daily. They put forth every ounce of effort they had in them, they did it with class, they weren?t showing off, they put their heads down and went to work. They had some moments that challenged their integrity and I believe they rose to the challenge.
Our athletes show up and mean business, but they don?t come out cocky and think they are better than everyone. We are grateful to be invited to community events and put forth our best effort possible every second on the floor. Our athletes showed integrity, determination, teamwork and an overall fun that we believe CrossFit should be. There were many PR?s hit and good form kept. Between EMO?s forehead hit with the barbell, Branch falling over the box, or Brian trying to get away with smoking his candy cigar during the last WOD, I?d say they had a lot of fun, gave it their all, and were incredibly happy with the outcomes. The classy effort was again noticed by many throughout the weekend.
Our spectators were great this weekend as well. Our members came out to support and cheer on the athletes, which gives you more energy than you think it does. Our members, whether competing or not, showed class in every aspect, which always makes us proud to wear the CFC on our chest. We were always cheering and supporting, never with a snide remark.
I think I speak for everyone when I say CFC had an amazing weekend and we can?t wait for many more to come! Thank you to all who came out with your families and friends, hope you enjoyed the experience! Thank you to the athletes who competed, we enjoy watching you every single day and all of the hard work and effort you put forth!
Here?s to a solid weekend, injury free, and many more to come?
Why do you train? Why do you put up with the soreness, the gasping for air, the uncomfortable components of CrossFit? I think this is an important question to ask yourself often. Each individual will have his or her own Why ? so what is yours?
A variation of this question and one I am more interested in getting to the bottom of with each of our members here at CFC is WHAT are you doing with your training?
CrossFit has become mainstream and grown very quickly the past 3-5 years. Its popularity ranges from its ability to keep people interested to creating undeniable physical results with people who exercise a clean nutrition-eating plan. It is safe to say that it is hard to get bored with CrossFit but it is all too easy to get discouraged.
As a gym owner and coach, I often get the enjoyment in hearing from new members what their initial ?why? is. The most common answers I get for what they want out of their training is to be healthier, lose some weight, look and feel better.
So ask yourself before moving on in this article ? are you healthier? Can you run further or faster? Can you train longer at a higher intensity than on your first day at the box? See we do believe that goals should be updated but we often move right past these small victories without acknowledgement. Why do we do that to ourselves? It is simple ? our society, the world is way more comfortable talking about what we can?t do than celebrating what we can do. All you have to do is open up one of the bazillion social media outlets and look to your feed to see the world?s complaints. It is a no wonder we feel more comfortable discouraged than we do feeling a sense of empowerment. Our negative self-talk is a parasite ? it is constantly playing the comparison game with what you ?still? can?t do.
Everyone is on his or her own journey in the gym but I want to discuss the individuals that I have come to call ?life enthusiasts?.
Life enthusiasts have traits and habits that are different from others. They come in with a humble approach to getting better each and every day and place themselves in a positive mindset inside and outside the gym. It?s the mindset of these individuals that set them apart and allows them to see the most progress. They have a quiet confidence about them because they design their life around well roundedness, taking the pressure off them to ?prove? themselves in one metcon or max out attempt. Life enthusiasts are the ones who keep their complaints and excuses at a minimum. They don?t announce to the entire gym that they tore a fingernail and that is why they are struggling with x movement today. No, this group is kind to themselves ? they exercise positive self-talk in their mind. How do I know this? It is because they spit out positive talk around others. If your mind and self-talk is negative to yourself then your phrases will also be negative in public showing up as excuses, or being overly boastful, to cutting range of motion to put up a good score or even cutting reps in a workout.
The life enthusiast groups are well rounded. They value health and fitness and looking and feeling good BUT they have that attitude in every aspect of their life. They enthusiastically live life inside and outside the gym not feeling the need to prove himself or herself to anyone on any given day. They do not look over their shoulder wondering what weight the guy or gal next to them is doing. They are on their own path and they are at peace with a good day and a bad day in the gym understanding that one-day doesn?t make or break you.
The life enthusiasts are active ? they can be found playing. Just like when they were kids at recess or after school they play and enjoy recreational activities. ?They can be found running 5K?s, playing golf, racquetball, basketball, slow pitch softball, rock climbing, road biking, etc. They use the gym and their workouts to enjoy their recreational activities more and that is where their happiness comes from. With happiness comes more motivation for the upcoming week of WOD?s.
CrossFit is ridiculously competitive and with each passing year the talent in the gym continues to improve with young talented athletes joining up to get into CrossFit. Should the goal be to be ?GREAT? at CrossFit? For some that may make sense because their life, athletic potential, time commitment, etc. allows for hours in the gym working on their weaknesses. For MOST this goal will only leave you discouraged and losing your perspective on why you train. For most our goal should be to be GREAT AT LIFE.
Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed ? if you aren?t having fun then why are you doing it? I love having fun in the gym ? I have fun when I?m not trying to prove myself. I have fun when I enjoy the people, the coaching, and the progress I see from consistent dedication & patience. If I am not working on a weakness then I?m not surprised when it doesn?t get better. An example of my WHY coming out recently was at the driving range ? I hit a golf ball further than I ever had showing me a glimpse of some potential if I apply myself to the game. In that moment I thought man I am STRONG look at that ball fly and I was thankful for the gym and for CrossFit. Later that day I came up against big weakness in the workout ? I didn?t lose my mind I just worked through it the best of my ability and remembered the enjoyment I had earlier that morning hitting the golf ball a long long way. ?So ? what?s your WHY? Ask yourself that and make sure you are enjoying your why often otherwise the world of CrossFit can get discouraging.
For everyone who experienced the CrossFit Open this year ? ask yourself if you are glad you did it? You are! You know why ? because you showed yourself you are capable of much more than that negative self-talk gives you credit for. Go out and get yourself in more of those environments that allow you to enjoy the work you are putting in the gym and keep proving your negative self talk wrong by living an active and prosperous life that is more fun thanks to your CrossFit workouts.
The year was 1995 and as a 9 year old, I vividly remember watching my older sister?s cross country team stretch, strategize different areas of the course and work on their sprints off the start line. The race took place only a few blocks from my house at the local city park and had I known what was in store for me that dreadful day I may of chosen to stay home. As I stood there watching them jump around like monkeys, I thought to myself, ?why do they think running is fun?? It was just my luck that at the very same moment that thought passed through my mind I noticed their coach heading right for me! As fate would have it, the team was down a runner and was in desperate need of a substitute. For a split second I thought I was maybe in the clear and possibly he was just explaining the unfortunate situation to my mother and I to relieve his frustration. Suddenly it hits me as my mother?s head slowly turns towards me, he wasn?t venting, he was asking permission!
I will never forget the peer pressure I succumbed to that day when she uttered those three words, ?want to run?? ?NO! PLEASE NO! NOT ME!? I screamed in my head and then out of nowhere I quietly muttered, ?sure.? As my mom drove me to our house conveniently a few blocks away to pick up my tennis shoes I sat there shaking my head in complete shock. ?What have I done??
The next thing I knew I was lined up like a row of ants at the start line listening to my heart beating like a drum from my chest. BOOM! The pop from the start gun nearly left me paralyzed but to my surprise my legs were moving! There I was right in the middle of this controlled stampede and I thought ?Ok, not so bad.? I?d strongly regret that thought with each step I took as my mood quickly shifted from ?not too bad? to ?I?m dying!? My legs were numb, chest burning and my face felt like it was going to explode! I started to wheezing, lost all control of my extremities like a wet noodle and the pain I was experiencing was like nothing I had ever felt before.
?Thank goodness!? I yelled, I could see the finish line! At that moment I finally understood what adrenaline was as I heard all of the fans cheering us on to the finish. Instantly the pain was erased and my mind pushed me into a dead sprint the last 100 yards. Once I finished I swore I would NEVER, EVER, run again!
I ended up placing 9th that day and eventually went on to run both cross country & track from middle school on through high school. Hell, I?ve even ran in two half marathons the last few years and at the end of the day, running is still a challenge with a bittersweet reward when you cross the finish. The atmosphere and adrenaline I felt that day was an experience that I personally fell in love with as an athlete and many reasons why I enjoy competing!
Here are some pointers to help you prepare for your first 5K race:
- Give yourself 2-3 months to work up to walking/running consistently for 30 minutes at a time. Below is a chart to follow to help you increase your cardio and stamina!
Week 1-2: Walk/Run 30 minutes total. Runners: Run 15 Sec/Walk 45 Sec. Rest 1-2 Day(s).
Week 3–4: Walk/Run 30 minutes total. Runners: Run 20 Sec/Walk 40 Sec. Rest 1-2 Day(s).
Week 5-6: Walk/Run 30 minutes total. Runners: Run 25 Sec/Walk 35 Sec. Rest 1 Day.
Week 7: Walk/Run 30 minutes total. Runners: run30 Sec/Walk 30 Sec. Rest 1 Day.
- Create a good warm up routine that gets your body moving before you run or walk.
- Track your runs/walks in a journal so you can see your progress.
- Eat healthy and drink plenty of water. This will aid in your progress and RECOVERY! 100 oz. a day at the very least!
- Go shopping! Pamper your feet with a new pair of New Balance or Asics running shoes. Look dapper in flashy new running clothes that will be comfortable to workout in.
- Use the ?buddy system.? It?s always more fun to run with somebody!
- Enjoy yourself!