It’s that time of year again where the temperatures drop and the abundance of holiday pies and cookies seem like they are never ending. Have you ever had to talk yourself out of going back for another helping even though you are already full? I have been guilty of this when home for the holidays. Your willpower must be stronger than your appetite if you want to make it out of the holidays like you started. This time of year can wreak havoc on your progress and goals. November and December are the toughest months of the year to maintain fitness or performance, especially with the added temptation of grandmas famous cooking. Am I saying you have to deprive yourself and can’t eat the delicious holiday food? No, eating in moderation is ok and won’t leave you regretful later on.
TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL HOLIDAY SEASON
- Plan to be active or maintain your normal workout routine. Time off work allows more free time, so stay active to help burn off the extra calories that will be consumed, use an extra boost with the best green juice for your body health.
- If you are going to a holiday party or dinner, don’t starve yourself in anticipation of the upcoming meal. Eat regularly leading up to the meal and you will be less likely to over indulge.
- Limit your sugar intake. Over eating rich and sugary treats will leave you feeling stuffed and sick but and hour or two later your back in the kitchen for more unneeded calories.
- Don’t over fill your plate. We tend to want to try everything and feel we need to eat it all. If you feel full then stop. Use smaller portions and spread out over time to where you feel satisfied but not sick.
- Don’t graze! An area I have to stay disciplined on is grazing around the table of appetizers and cookies that are sitting out at the party. Try to hang out in another room or area to resist the mindless snacking.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. This will help with appetite control, and fight that hangover from too many drinks at the party.
- ENJOY YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND MAKE SOME MEMORIES!
Take these tips and use them to help guide you through the holidays and set yourself up for success. Start off 2018 right by not having to play catch up to burn off the extra helpings of pumpkin pie or Christmas ham. With that being said now is the time to start thinking about those New Year’s Resolutions instead of waiting for January 1st. Most resolutions are about diet and weight loss with the help of the best weight loss pills, but tend to fail quickly because a true goal or plan was never established. Think about your goals and what you would like to accomplish and think about WHY you want it. If you understand why you want to achieve something then you are more likely to work harder for that goal. Put a plan in place and go for it.
We can help you with your WHY factor for your health and fitness goals, from there helping you establish a routine and accountability partner to help you stick to your plan. Do not hesitate to do so; we are here to help at CrossFit Collinsville!