Meet CFC Member – Jason Forys
Why do you like coming to CFC?
I’m 6 months in to my CrossFit experience, and I’m addicted. I have to admit that I was pretty resistant to CrossFit for a long time. My sister Wendy and brother-in-law Keith Cameron tried to get me to come to a Saturday workout on occasion but I would always have an excuse. For one thing, I was intimidated. My perception of these gyms was a bunch of crazy strong lunatics throwing big weight around and listening to Metallica (oh wait, I think I just described Chris Thomas). I was also embarrassingly out of shape and I was certain I wouldn’t fit in. Both of these assumptions turned out to be wrong
CFC has had me hooked from day one. I think when I started the Foundations course I told Chris I would try to make it 2 days a week. In fact, I believe my first instinct was to just get a punch card and I would try to make it to an occasional Saturday workout. Now I find myself there 5 days a week, and I get emotionally distraught if I miss a workout (it’s true, just ask my wife).
Here are the top 5 reasons I think CFC is phenomenal:
- I get to work out at 5 am with some seriously awesome people, and I’m back home before my wife and kids are even out of bed.
- CFC is for everyone. There are people here of all skill sets, fitness levels, and ages that share one thing in common: We all want to be there and improve. We also spend a significant amount of time discussing how sore we are.
- Workouts are posted the night before class at 8 pm. This is pretty exciting because you don’t know what Coach Thomas is going to throw at you. It’s like Christmas every day!
- Saturday partner WOD’s! These are awesome and challenging at the same time. Working together as a team adds some extra accountability and forces you to dig deep and find that extra gear.
- Coach Thomas. Here’s a guy that genuinely cares about your health and fitness. If you listen to him, good things will happen. We’re lucky to have him.
What is your favorite movement?
Favorite bodyweight movement would be burpees of any variety. Favorite weighted movement is a tie between overhead squats and the power clean. Overhead squats were my least favorite movement when I started, but as flexibility has improved I’ve been able to appreciate how awesome/challenging of a move it is.
What is your least favorite movement?
My least favorite movements are the ones that I feel like I should be able to do, but can’t (yet). Examples would be double-unders, Toes-to-bar, and handstand pushups. Additionally, anything with “snatch” in the name I find to be incredibly frustrating J.
What do you do for a career?
I’m a scientist! More specifically, I am a molecular biologist and currently the Laboratory Director for an RNA-based diagnostic company called Cofactor Genomics. Not enough space here to explain what we do, but ask me about it sometime and I’d be happy to discuss.
Family and kids?
I have been married to my wife, Jessie, for 8 years and we have 3 beautiful girls: Annie-6, Mollie-4, and Sydnie-1. They are all awesome.
Hobbies outside of CrossFit?
I didn’t have a hobby before CrossFit so it has taken on that role in my life. Besides that, I enjoy playing golf and drinking an occasional Long island iced tea with whoever will join me