Everyone knows that water is good for them and may understand the basic importance of water and what it does for you. The unfortunate side is that most people do not value it like they should which could possibly be because they truly don?t know many of the other important benefits that come with it. To refer to some of the common benefits of H2O, check out the previous article we posted here?about water.
Outside of hydration, aiding in metabolism and digestion, and fighting headaches water provides many other useful aids in health, lifestyle, and training that people tend to overlook. This article is meant to focus on those areas to help you get more excited and value water more. So here is a list of some overlooked benefits. Your body will love you for it!
Improves Your Mood
- Even if you are mildly dehydrated it can impact your mood. So keep the water close so you feel refreshed.
Naturally Prevents Headaches
- According to studies going to long without water can trigger a headache or migraine, so by consistently drinking water it reduces the trigger to occur.
- Lubricates joints and cartilage
- It keeps the joints hydrated and reduces stiffness
- Cartilage which protects bones is made up of 85% water
Aids In Cold Weather Workouts
- Cold weather can dehydrate you just as much as hot weather.
- We lose water through respiration, and when we exercise in the cold we work harder under the layers and therefore sweat and breathe heavier.
- Cold weather reduces thirst and water cravings, increasing dehydration rate.
Eat Your Water
- Fruits in vegetable that have high water content such as watermelon, cucumber, and strawberries also contain other nutrients that aid in hydration and provide good nutritious snacks.
Improves Skin Health
- Staying hydrated reduces wrinkles by delivery nutrients to the skin cells and helps maintain elasticity.
- Aids in reducing dryness and cracking especially during the cold months.
Exercise In It
- Aerobic workouts in water is great for low impact ? low stress cardio exercise.
- Getting in a good pool workout is great the change up your routine and will aid in recovery between weight training or high impact training sessions.
Soak It Up
- Spa therapy can help relieve pain and aid in relaxation.
- A hot bath with Epson salts can help your muscles relax and relieve tension.
How Much Do I Need To Stay Hydrated
I wanted to include it to?remind everyone how much they need or how to figure out how much.
- Take your bodyweight and divide by 2 to find how many ounces you need
- Divide the ounces by 8 to give you the amount of cups.
- This will give you a baseline but may need to increase depending on your activity level.
- A good goal would be 80-100oz
Now that the New Year health and fitness resolutions are upon us, I challenge everyone to not only get fit and healthy by exercising and improving their nutrition but to make an additional resolution and value water. If people can truly understand the importance of what it can do for them then more resolutions will be successful. Quality of life will be improved which will carry over into other aspects of life such as productivity, mood, and fitness and performance.
So get rid of the high calorie sugary, over caffeinated drinks and start drinking some ice cold water. Then come see us at CrossFit Collinsville for help with your New Year?s Resolutions! Our trainers will help you stay accountable to see your resolution through and be successful in reaching your goals through the entire year!